Shutters Hardware Installation - Architectural Shutters Collection
|Storm Rated Installation Instructions|
For varying heights of shutters, use the following quantities of
hinges per shutter:
Height from 12" to 48", Two hinges per shutter
Height greater than 48" to 76", Three hinges per shutter
Height greater than 76" to 102", Four hinges per shutter
L-Hinges and Flat Hinges are the only approved hardware for storm rated mounting. L-Hinges are typically
used at the top and bottom of the shutter. Flat Hinges are used between L-Hinges when 3 or 4 hinges are
The L-Hinge is shown for instructional purposes. If a Flat Hinge is being used, follow the same installation
|1. Measure and mark hinge locations as shown. The top and bottom hinges are typically placed 1" from the ends of the shutter.|
|2. Align the hinge to the outer edge of the shutter and to one of the marks previously measured. If a Polycarbonate Mounting Screw is in the way, remove it.|
|3. Using the hinge as a template, drill 5/32" pilot holes in the shutter. Use caution not to drill completely through the shutter.|
|4. Attach the hinge using the supplied #12 x 1" screws.|
5. Repeat steps 2-4 for the remaining hinge(s).
6. Repeat steps 1-5 for the other shutter. Make sure to attach hinges to the opposite edge of the shutter as the first. This creates a left and right shutter.
Pintel Mounting Instruction- EXISTING STRUCTURE MAY BE CONCRETE, HOLLOW BLOCK OR WOOD FRAMING FOR PROPER ANCHOR
TYPE BASED ON TYPE OF EXISTING STRUCTURE, SEE ANCHOR SCHEDULE BELOW.
- ANCHORS SHALL BE INSTALLED IN ACCORDANCE WITH MANUFACTURERS' RECOMMENDATIONS.
- WHERE EXISTING STRUCTURE IS CONCRETE OR HOLLOW CONCRETE BLOCK, MINIMUM EDGE DISTANCE
SHALL BE 3" FOR ALL ANCHORS.
- WHERE EXISTING STRUCTURE IS WOOD FRAMING, EXISTING CONDITIONS MAY VARY. FIELD VERIFY THAT
FASTENERS ARE INTO ADEQUATE WOOD FRAMING MEMBERS, NOT PLYWOOD.
- MINIMUM EMBEDMENT AND EDGE DISTANCE EXCLUDES STUCCO OR OTHER EXTERIOR WALL FINISHES.
HINGE PINTEL ALLOWABLE ANCHORS:
TO CONCRETE: 3" FASTENER EDGE DISTANCE - 3/16" x 1 3/4" EMBED TAPCON OR EQUIVALENT
TO WOOD: 3/4" FASTENER EDGE DISTANCE - #10 x 1 3/4" EMBED WOOD SCREWS OR EQUIVALENT
|1. Hold the shutters in place in the window opening. Using shims, position the shutter in the opening to create an 1/8" gap around the top, bottom, and hinge side of the shutter. This is only necessary when mounting the shutter in an opening. The 1/8" gap does not apply for overlap conditions.|
|2. Identify the locations of the Pintels on the wall and mount each Pintel pointing in the upward position, except for the bottom pintel. See anchor specifications above for correct fastener.|
3. Mount the bottom Pintel in the downward position. See anchor specifications above for correct fastener.
Mounting the bottom Pintel in the downward position prevents the shutter from lifting off.
|4. If Flat Hinges (not shown) are used between L-hinges, the corresponding Pintels should point upward. Once all the Pintels have been fastened to the wall, remove the shims.|
|5. Repeat steps 1-4 for the shutter on the opposite side.|