Corbels find themselves right at home in the kitchen. In fact, since the historical use of a corbel is to support weight, just think of all of the heavy pieces that are in your kitchen: cabinets, counter tops, the range hood, possibly open shelving, and more. Everywhere that support is needed is the ideal place for a corbel that not only helps to balance the look but to add interesting hand-carved detail, as well.
You’ll find corbels manufactured from high-quality hardwoods and from easy-care polyurethane. Wood corbels can actually provide a support function, but a polyurethane corbel is for decorative purposes only: it won’t support the weight of a piece like a shelf or counter top.
Wood corbels can be painted in any color to coordinate with your kitchen’s decor, or you can choose to stain the corbel to match other wood accents and to showcase the fine grain of the wood. Polyurethane corbels should be painted for optimal results; these architectural components also lend themselves well to faux finishes. When selecting your stain or paint color for each corbel, consider selecting a finish similar to your existing kitchen cabinetry for a well-coordinated look.
As for where to best utilize a corbel in your kitchen, the list is long:
• Under counter tops, especially those made from heavy materials such as granite or marble;
• With islands and counter overhangs where chairs or bar stools might provide seating for family members and guests; just take care to position the corbel carefully so that it doesn’t get in the way of the seating;
• As a support for kitchen cabinetry;
• Underneath a deep window sill;
• Supporting an open shelf, especially if the shelf will hold items that are heavy such as cast-iron cookware; corbels can balance the look of weighty items that might appear unsupported on a plain shelf.
For many homeowners, the most difficult part of decorating with polyurethane or wood corbels in the kitchen is selecting from the vast number of corbel styles. You’ll find designs that coordinate beautifully with any style of kitchen, from traditional to Mediterranean to modern and every other style in between. Some corbels are simpler in appearance, which means that they lend themselves well to a subtler type of accent, while other designs are more bold and distinctive. The latter style of corbel does a perfect job of making an artistic statement in its own right.
Now that you have an understanding of the myriad of ways that corbels can provide the perfect enhancement for a kitchen, it’s time to take a fresh look at your home to determine the ways in which you can utilize these architectural embellishments to spice up your kitchen.
post your comments
Recent Articles Subscribe
- Italian Carved Wood Sconces
May 28, 2015
- Selecting Occasional Chairs
May 18, 2015
- Valentine’s Day Gifts
Jan 19, 2015
- Valentine’s Day Inspires Perfect Expressions Of Love
Jan 12, 2015
- Fine Writing Instruments Inspire Joy and Creativity
Dec 03, 2014