|Installation Instructions >>|
|AS WITH ANY STRUCTURAL PROJECT PLEASE VERIFY ALL BUILDING CODES WITH YOUR LOCAL BUILDING OFFICIALS PRIOR TO ANY INSTALLATION. THE STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY OF THE BALUSTRADE ASSEMBLY IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE INSTALER.|
recessed wall niche installation
Tools and materials used for recessed wall niche installation- Sponge or clean cloth
- Caulking gun
- Brown craft paper or butcher paper
- Elastomeric adhesive caulk
- Carpenter's saw or Circular saw
- Mineral spirits
- 2x4 lumber
- 1x2, 1x3, 1x4 lumber
- Polyurethane construction adhesive
- Bright common or bright box framing nails
Before Recessed Wall Niche Installation
Check local building code requirements to ensure compliance. It is installers responsibility to conform to all code requirementssurface preparation for the recessed wall niche installation:
- Clean all surfaces free of dirt and loose particles with a clean cloth or sponge
- Make sure area is completely dry before installing wall niche
wall niche preparation for installation:
- DO NOT NAIL the fiberglass wall niche as nails will cause damage to the surface
- We recommend that you finish [paint or faux finish] niche before installation
- After installation touch-up any area as needed
Wall Cut-Out niche installation
- Make a paper template. Lay niche on top of the craft paper, with the niche right side up. The niche will lie on the paper like a bathtub (A). Trace around the niche that touches the paper. Measure and adjust template line to accommodate the curvature width of the niche. Cut the template out.
- Most niches will not fit between 16" on center studs. When installing niche it is best to install to one existing stud if possible. Tape the template to the wall where niche is to be installed, trace template on wall and remove pattern (B). Make sure template is plumb with studs.
- Using 2x4"s frame out area with top and bottom cross braces and vertical supports on both sides of the opening (C)
general recessed wall niche installation
- Measure the width of the side well on back of niche. Cut 5 – 7 pieces of 1x2, 1x3, or 1x4" lumber in 6" lengths. With construction adhesive, adhere the lumber blocks into the niche well – spacing evenly around the niche (D). - Make sure blocks are even with the side well edge.
wall niche installation with screws (not recommended)
- It is not recommended that niches be installed with screws; however in some applications it is necessary. Please follow General Instructions above and the following steps when installation requires screw mounting.
WHILE INSTALLING WALL NICHE ALWAYS FOLLOW THESE SAFETY SUGGESTIONS